In this video i'm restoring a Beverly Shear model B1
My friend found this Beverly Shear in the steel waste at the recycling station. When I first saw this Beverly Shear I had no idea why it has such an unique shape. After a bit of research I quickly found out that this is a very well known tool. So I decided to restore it and bought it for $30. The Beverly Shear is a tool to cut sheet, because of it's unique shape it enables you to cut curved shapes and that's what makes the Beverly Shear so special. The Beverly Shear was invented by Kurt Nebel in 1931 in Chicago. There are 3 different sizes available: model B1, model B2 and model B3 which is the biggest one. They have made some changes over the years, but since 1947 the shears have remained virtually unchainged. For the colour i decided to use a darker grey than the original and choosed anthracide, I also added two washers. To make the parts black I used a bluing liquid called „Birchwood Casey - Super Blue“ and it worked very well. It's easy to hanlde and the big advantage over heating and quenching in oil is that you can do it without heating the parts up. So you won't change the structure of the steel and you can use it on hardened parts as well. Because I have no tools and experience in sharpening such blades, I decided to ask my friend Philipp Elsener from Elsener Messerschmied to do it. He's a professional knifemaker here in Rapperswil Switzerland. Check out his website, linked below. Overall I'm very happy how the Beverly Shear came out and as it is such a unique tool I'll keep it for myself.
I hope you like my work and the video.
Huge thank you to all of my Patreon supporters and specially to:
03:45 showing all the parts
03:58 washing the parts
04:21 removing paint with paint stripper
04:50 protecting the parts from rusting with Motorex MX50 oil spray
05:02 restoring the main part
06:49 restoring the front plate
08:18 restoring the back plate
09:09 restoring the two big bolts
09:50 restoring the nut
10:24 restoring the special washer
10:42 restoring the blade holding plate
11:21 making a new screw for the blade holding plate
12:32 polishing the new washer
12:44 assembling test
13:24 restoring and sharpening the blades
14:36 restoring the handle holder
15:39 restoring the handle and making a sleeve for it
17:54 restoring the screw for the handle
18:20 making a special washer on the lathe
19:18 restoring the sign
19:44 showing the two new rivets for the sign
19:52 restoring the small screws
20:15 making the parts black with Birchwood Casey - Super Blue
21:04 masking the parts with aluminium tape for sandblasting
22:51 filling the holes with 2K filler
23:18 masking the parts for painting
23:27 applying 2K primer
23:36 applying 2K anthracide coat
24:07 showing all the parts before reassembling
26:29 adjusting the blade distance
26:40 showing the finished product
27:36 final testing
27:57 cut comparison before/after
Time and costs of this restoration:
I was working on this project over 3 weeks and I can't really tell how many hours I spent.
$30 Beverly Shear
$20 primer (2K)
$20 anthracide coat (2K)
If you have any questions about the process, machines i'm using or other stuff, just ask me in the comments. I read them all and i try to reply as soon as possible.
Sorry for my bad english, it's not my language. I try my best to improve my technical english.
Subscribe for more of my content. I'm uploading videos about mechanical stuff, as new creations and buildings and also restorations.
Thank you for watching :-)
My Patreon Page:
Follow me on Instagram: