Antique Swiss Blowtorch Restoration - with testing! Oerlikon Record
In this video i'm restoring an antique swiss blowtorch.
Like, comment, subscribe.
I found this old blowtorch, which was perfect for a nice restoration video. Before i started to disassemble i wanted to know if it still works and it did. The flame was quiet inconsistant and fire leaked everywhere. By the first look i saw that the front piece was damaged very hard, the bolt on top had a lot of slack, the handle of the pump was broken and it didn't lock.
After this first look i started to disassemble. All the parts were really easy to remove and it went very well and fast.
To remove the soot and patina i used a mixture of flour, salz and vinegar. This is a very effective and cheap method, it takes a bit of time but it's worth to wait. I left the parts for 7 days. I made a new bolt on the lathe and recut the thread. To make the bolt black i heated it up to around 300-400°C and layed it in olive oil after it, that makes it also rust proofing. Because i couldn't fix the front piece, i decided to make a new one and it worked very well. I made the gasket for it out of an exhaust gasket, because it had one layer aluminium in it i first made a hole on the mill, then cut it roughly out and finished it with the belt grinder. Next up i removed all the scratches from the tank with sandpaper. As i can't engrave i decided to scratch the letters deeper with a needle and then i polished it. I did the same with the same with the filler cap and made a new gasket out of cork for it. The shaft from the pump was bent very hard, so i did straighten it with a hammer and polished it. As the handle from the pump was broken and it didn't lock, i decided to make a new one. I designed the handle and i was inspired by pictures of simular blowtorches on the internet, i was quiet happy with the endresult. To make a new leather for the pump, i soacked a piece of leather in pure gasoline. I made a die and stamp to bring the leather in shape. To dry it faster i set it on fire and waited until the flames stoped, held it quick under water and left it for 24 hours to dry. I took it out of the die, cut it in shape with scissors and puched a hole in it. I grinded the black handle clean with sandpaper on the lathe and made a new profile on the mill, after that i polished it to make it black and shiny. I made a new wick with a cotton cord.
Then i put it all back together. I used just a little bit grease on all the threads and also on the pump leather. The pump had a very good compression after assembling and i was very happy about the overall looking at the end.
Sorry for my bad english, it's not my language. I try my best to improve my technical english.
Subscribe for more of my content. I'm uploading videos about mechanical stuff, as new creations and buildings and also restorations.
Thank you for watching :-)
My Patreon Page:
Follow me on Instagram: