1930s German Spiral Jack - Perfect Restoration

Your video will begin in 5

Thanks! Share it with your friends!

URL

You disliked this video. Thanks for the feedback!

Sorry, only registred users can create playlists.
URL


أضيف by Admin in
6 عدد المشاهدات

الوصف

1930s German Spiral Jack Restoration - Bilstein 2500kg.

In this video i'm restoring a very old, super rusty and dirty german spiral jack. It's a Bilstein from the 1930s, it can lift 2500kg.

Like, comment, subscribe.

I found this spiral jack which needed a restoration desperately. It was super rusty at the bottom and very dirty in general, the top part was bend, but it was still working.
So i started with disassembling, what turned out to be very tricky. I was struggeling quiet a bit to get the gear wheel of the shaft because it was locked on it with two pin connections. They were both blind, so i couldn't just hammer the pin out, i had to drill them out. I didn't drill exactly in line with the pins, that's why i needed to drill several times and the holes were not round anymore.
The top piece was forged on the shaft, so i first removed the holding material with my air die grinder. Then i was able to hammer it of the shaft.
I removed the rivet heads on the bottom with my angle grinder.
Once i had everything in pieces, i started to wash them.
Some pieces i cleaned with sandblasting. I grinded two small pieces clean with the belt grinder, to remove rust and old paint. Same with the square head of the shaft, i welded the holes in it and made it all round and smooth again with the grinding wheel, file and scotch brite. I made the same with the gear wheel, but first i needed to remove the old pins and drill them out. After that i welded the holes, smoothed the welding with the file, cleaned the inside with reaming and cleaned it all with the steel brush.
To restore the top end connection i first bend the big piece, made the back flat on the mill and then turned a new section which i will later press on the shaft. I also turned the the shaft on the lath, made the same section on it and cleaned the front side. I hammered the disc flat with the hammer and turned the same diameter on the inside. Once i had that, i was able to put them all together, line all 3 pieces up with the old hole and drill that one up again on the mill for a new pin connection. I forged that top end back, so that all pieces hold tight together without slack. I drilled out the old rivets from the bottom.
Now it was time to paint. As the paint manual says, i cleaned the parts with water, but as soon as it was dry it started to rust again. That's why i covered the inside of it with grease. I painted all pieces twice with 5 hours in between.
When thge paint was dry, i started to assemble. First i put the cover over the spiral, screwed the gear wheel on it and locked the thread again with a weld. Next up i pressed in the square shaft in the other gear wheel. I drilled one hole for the pin connection, hammered the pin in and then i repeat that for the second pin. After i placed the bearing i put the spiral back in the case and i mounted the cover with the restored 3 screws. I put the piece with the spring in the hole of the back, put the little painted cover piece in and fixed it with another pin. As the last step i mounted the bottom cover with two rivets, unfortunately i forgot the press record on my camera, so there's no footage of that.
And last but not least i painted the text white, so it stand out very nice.
It was a tricky restoration with a lot of machining.

Sorry for my bad english, it's not my language. I try my best to improve my technical english.

Subscribe for more of my content. I'm uploading videos about mechanical stuff, as new creations and buildings and also restorations.

Thank you for watching :-)


My Patreon Page:
https://www.patreon.com/mymechanics

My PayPal:
https://www.paypal.me/mymechanics

Follow me on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/my_mechanics/

اضف تعليقك

التعليقات

لا توجد تعليقات حتي الآن
RSS